Campus Miscommunication

This week we were tasked to take a closer look at interpersonal relationships, and while it's not the traditional dyad, I figured why not take a look at some recent events on campus.




Last Thursday there was a protest on campus over the musings that were made on a Brooklyn College Professor´s blog. The quote, in particular, that has been cherry-picked (sorry my bias is showing) was this one, which also happens to be the first sentence, “If someone did not commit sexual assault in high school, then he is not a member of the male sex ”. Here is a sign I saw in Ingersoll featuring it plus a photo of Langbert, photoshopped with a pig nose








While the protestors claim that Langbert is a proponent of sexual assault, Langbert argues that his blog post was written as a satirical reflection on the Kavanaugh hearings. Personally, I agree with Langbert I think that the line about sexual assault being a prerequisite for political office gives away that it is satire. That being said the purpose of my blog is to highlight how this clearly represents a Cognitive Conflict where because people have interpreted things differently there is now a conflict between students and their professor.


I think that the school has made the right choice of choosing to (at least they have at the time that I'm writing this) to not fire Langbert and instead host student forums to address this issue. I think that this is a great show of integretating both the wants of the protestors while still granting Langbert the benefit of the doubt instead of just obliging the protestors and their list of demands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research! Fun!

Sniffing out "The One"

You're Too Far-Close To Me (Personal Space Around the World)